Friends of South Surrey Park

From Greenlivingpedia, a wiki on green living, building and energy

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Revision as of 12:45, 29 July 2007 (edit)
Peter Campbell (Talk | contribs)
(External links - Add Wikipedia link)
← Previous diff
Revision as of 12:58, 29 July 2007 (edit) (undo)
Peter Campbell (Talk | contribs)
(History of South Surrey Park - Add working bees section & start gallery)
Next diff →
Line 16: Line 16:
A footbridge across the creek in the park was opened with ceremony in 1937 by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Winston Duggan. The footbridge partially collapsed in the 1990's and was rebuilt using only some new material, giving it a mish-mash appearance today. A footbridge across the creek in the park was opened with ceremony in 1937 by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Winston Duggan. The footbridge partially collapsed in the 1990's and was rebuilt using only some new material, giving it a mish-mash appearance today.
 +
 +==Working bees==
 +===Sunday July 29, 2007===
 +Planting near Riversdale Road on the east side of Back Creek.
 +
 +<Gallery>
 +Image:2007-07-29 FSSP working bee 01.jpg
 +Image:2007-07-29 FSSP working bee 02.jpg
 +Image:2007-07-29 FSSP working bee 03.jpg
 +<Gallery/>
==External links== ==External links==

Revision as of 12:58, 29 July 2007

Friends of South Surrey Park is active in South Surrey Park in Surrey Hills, Melbourne, working in conjunction with Boroondara Council on:

  • progressively replanting the park with indigenous native species
  • providing habitat for native animals such as birds and possums
  • providing timber seating and other amenities in the park
  • monitoring aquatic insect life in Back Creek that flows through the park intermittently.
  • removal of exotic weeds
  • restoration of the Back Creek water way, in conjuction with Melbourne Water
  • providing information about the park and group activities on a notice board situated near the high footbridge across Back Creek.

South Surrey Park follows the course of Back Creek from Union Road in the north to Riversdale Road, Melbourne in the South. There are well graded walking paths throughout the park, and a children's playground adjacent to Verdun Street.

History of South Surrey Park

The park was formed on land owned by Mr W. Kleinert, a coachbuilder and blacksmith of 34 Union Road.

A footbridge across the creek in the park was opened with ceremony in 1937 by the Governor of Victoria, Sir Winston Duggan. The footbridge partially collapsed in the 1990's and was rebuilt using only some new material, giving it a mish-mash appearance today.

Working bees

Sunday July 29, 2007

Planting near Riversdale Road on the east side of Back Creek.

Personal tools